Agreement of the Governing Council in relation to Royal Decree-Law 14/2012 on "urgent measures for the rationalization of public expenditure in education"
Alicante, 29th May 2012
The University of Alicante's Governing Council, in the meeting on 29th May, agreed, in relation to Royal Decree-Law 14/2012 of 20th April, "on urgent measures to rationalize public expenditure in education" confirmed by the Parliament on 17th May, to issue the following report:
1. Roundly reject the procedure followed by the Ministry of Education, Culture and Sports, since measures of vital importance to the operation and management of universities have been known through the media and its publication in the Official Gazette of the Spanish State. The rule of law has established some mandatory procedures for consultation which, without justification, have been completely ignored by the Ministry.
2. Categorically reject the arguments defended by the Ministry, which point to the insufficient work of teachers and students to justify the measures contained in Royal Decree-Law.
3. Express their great concern that the increase of public fees may cause a breach of the principle of equal opportunities. In recent decades, the universities have been able to incorporate into the classroom students from broad social layers that have made the university an important mechanism of social promotion. Rising fees may make it impossible for public universities to contribute to social cohesion and stability.
4. State that the amendment of Article 68 of the Universities Act is in direct collision with the right to university autonomy, which the Constitution gives the range of fundamental right and has been repeatedly endorsed by the Constitutional Court. The Royal Decree-Law envisages universities as mere delegations of the ministry, violating the university autonomy by establishing exhaustively and unilaterally the academic staff teaching commitment.
5. Regret that such Royal Decree-Law has been ratified by the Parliament on 17th May 2012, preventing its passage as Bill, which has made it impossible to be modified in depth.
Universidad de Alicante Carretera de San Vicente del Raspeig s/n 03690 San Vicente del Raspeig Alicante (Spain)