Center of Oriental Studies, formed from the 1998-1999 academic year, designs, organizes and courses and seminars in language, culture and economy china and Japan. The courses are aimed at university, be validated for credits of free choice, as professionals and stakeholders, in the morning, afternoons and Saturdays during the academic year, and intensive in July.
CEO combines its course offerings with the organization of extracurricular activities, multidisciplinary approach of lectures by the best specialists, film screenings, concerts, exhibitions, etc.. Its aim is to promote knowledge of the countries of East Asia by the university community, the business and society, helping to enhance the interrelated fields in academic, economic and cultural. For the same purpose, is forming a fund literature on language, international trade, history, literature, art, philosophy, religion, politics and international relations of East Asia, available at the Library of the University of Alicante. During the academic year 2007-08 have been acquired 106 new copies.
Moreover, the CEO gives advice on scholarships for both students and professionals, promotes collaboration agreements for the exchange Chinese and Japanese universities to collaborate in the organization of training in companies for their students, and participates in activities and courses both public and private institutions.
CEO actively participates in meetings of defining educational policy with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Ministry Education, and a group of universities interested in developing Asian studies in their respective campus. It also works as a member of the Advisory Council of Asia House, an institution under the Spanish Ministry of Foreign Affairs, responsible for centralizing the projects involving the countries of Spain Asia-Pacific. The CEO is also working on creating a Spanish inter-network to coordinate a wide range of cultural activities that promote mutual understanding between Asia-Pacific Españay.
There are exchanges of partnership agreements signed with the University of Foreign Studies Xi'an, Shanghai and Guangdong, under which the University of Alicante receives Every year Chinese students doing degree courses, PhD maestríao and facilitates the sending of students from the UA to them. During the academic year 2007-2008 more than 40 Chinese students have studied in grade maestríay PhD at the University of Alicante.
CEO has managed the process of signing the specific agreement of exchange between the Faculty of Economics, University of Alicante and universities Shanghai International Studies and Foreign Language Guangdong institutional and made a trip in May 2008 alongside the Dean of the Faculty of Economics, UA, Juan Llopis and the Dean of International Relations, Faculty of Economic ; micas, José Manuel Casado, building the movement to visit the representatives of the Embassy and the Consulate of Spain in Beijing, the representative of the Spanish Ministry of Education in China, the Consulate of Spain in Shanghai, with offices and ICEX IVEX in Beijing and Shanghai and the offices of CAM in the latter city.
Activities representacióny advice
Oriental Studies Center represents the University of Alicante in its internationalization policy with countries in Asia Pacific, attending Higher Education Fairs that are held in this area, maintaining relationships with embassies, consulates and trade offices in Spain and East Asia representative of the various institutions in Japan and China Spain, providing and directing the implementation of bilateral academic exchanges.
In this regard, during the 2007-2008 academic year participated in the China Higher Education Expo in Beijing in October 2007, he formed , part of the delegation of the CRUE who accompanied the Minister of Education of Spain, Mercedes Cabrera, at the signing of mutual recognition of studies between Españay China, held in October 2007 in Shanghai.
During 2007-2008 the CEO has offered 32 courses for different levels of language, culture and economics and china and Japan has continued the gradual increase of annual number of students enrolled in their courses, reaching 600 students, resulting in 50% of the university community and the other 50% of the business world and society in general alicantina.
Within scheduling extra-curricular activities in the 2007-2008 academic year the Center for Oriental Studies has organized 16 events:
- The role of China in the new world order , Fernando Delage, Director of Casa Asia Madrid.
- Minorities and Language Policy in China , Michael Prosser, Professor of Language china in the department of Applied Linguistics at the Polytechnic University of Valencia and Universitat Oberta de Catalunya.
- China: The Second Revolution , Eugenio Bregolat, former Ambassador of China in Spain (1987-1991 and 1999-2003) and current Ambassador of Spain in the principality of Andorra.
- history of relations between China and Spain, Ben Zhao Tang, Political Counselor of the Embassy china in Spain.
- Sources of Chinese thought , Pedro San Ginés, Professor of Chinese Thought at the University of Granada, and writer translator.
- Poems premonition of death in the traditional lyric china , Helènne Anne Suarez translator and professor at the Autonomous University of Barcelona.
- Mythology of Ancient China, Gabriel Garcia-Noblejas, professor of translation Chinese-Spain ; ol at the University of Granada; translator.
- china calligraphy in art of the twentieth century, Paloma Salazar Fadón, painter and writer, member Research Group of Asian Studies at the University of Granada.
- Towards a new economic and social model in China, Jacinto Soler Matutes, consultant and professor at the School of East Asia at the University Pompeu i Fabra.
- Traditional medicine china or the balance of vital energy, Dr. Maria Antonia Sola, a professor at the Faculty of Medicine, University of Valencia.
- china narrative in the thirties and forties of the twentieth century: the case of Ba Jin , Javier Martí No Rivers, Professor of Chinese Language and Literature at the University of Granada, writer and translator.
- China's role in Asia-Pacific and its relations with countries in East Asia and Southeast Asia, Georgina Higueras, correspondent of El País in Asia Pacific; writer.
- Women and society in China today: nationalism, liberacióny market, Amelia Sáiz López, Professor of East Asian Studies at the Center for International and Intercultural Studies at the Autonomous University of Barcelona, a member of the Asia Program of the CIDOB Foundation.
- The role of the diaspora china. Chinese in the Far West, Antolín Joaquin Beltran, professor of East Asian Studies at the Autonomous University of Barcelona and the Universitat Oberta de Catalunya, a member of the Asia Program of the Foundation n CIDOB and director of the Library of Contemporary China Edicions Bellaterra.
- Chinese considerations. Prospecting the future, Sean Golden, Director of the Institute of International and Intercultural Studies at the Autonomous University of Barcelona and Director of the Asia Program of the CIDOB Foundation.
- Noh Theater: origin, its influence in the West evolucióny , Lecture by Fernando Cid Lucas, professor of University of Extremadura.
Within V Cycle Film East Asia in VOS, a monthly, in collaboration with the City of Alicante campus, 9 films have been planned:
- overture Itthisoontorn Vichailak
- Mongolian Dog Byambasuren Davaa
- April History of Shunji Iwai
- Address unknown of Kim Ki-duk
- jewel of Shanghai of Zhang Yimou
- search of Zhang Yimou
- Memories of China Xiao Jiang
- Shanghai Dreams Wang Xiaoshuai
- Spring in a small place Tian ZhuangZhuang
The Center for Oriental Studies has worked during the academic year 2007-2008 with the Bonsai Club of Alicante in the organization of the XIII Mostra Bonsai of Valencia, held on 10 and 11 May 2008 in Mutxamel.
In February 2008 the CEO celebrated Chinese New Year.
The Center for Eastern Studies is part of the Organizing Committee of the Spanish Forum for Research on Asia Pacific is carried out biannually between several Spanish universities and has worked during the academic year 2007-2008 in the preparation of the second Forum to be held at the University of Valencia in September 2008.
In June 2008 promoted the opening of a bank account by the Vice President for International Relations and Cooperation of the AU to raise funds to help in the reconstruction of schools destroyed by the earthquake in Sichuan, China, in May of that year.
Universidad de Alicante
Carretera de San Vicente del Raspeig s/n
03690 San Vicente del Raspeig
Tel: (+34) 96 590 3400Fax: (+34) 96 590 3464