Support Products Mental Impairment
There is a tendency to increase the demand for development systems and training in language and communication.
Support for communication
Augmentative or Alternative Communication Systems, you can see it in the mobility difficulties section .
Specifically, there are communicator-style computer programs designed to improve communication with people with autism spectrum disorders. In this sense, the application of technological elements such as computers, pdas, etc. has the apparent advantage of the great attention that seems to awaken in people with ASD.
- Niki Talk arises from the frustration of one of the many parents, who together with the specialized therapist of his daughter Niki who has Autism, designed for iOS, for iPhone and iPad. Currently it is also available in Adroid. It works in a similar way to the personal notebook of children that allows them to make a series of images to show an emotion, a need or a message. Niki Talk helps any child with communication problems of any sort, with a keyboard, an album of drawings of facial expressions, actions, emotions and a blackboard to draw freely. The application is totally free. Its potential audience is in the basic educational levels, but it shows the dynamics of usual creation of this type of products
- Another similar example is SAVIA , Interactive Virtual Learning System for people with autism and learning difficulties. It is the result of an INDRA project, the Autism and Learning Difficulties Group of the University of Valencia and the digital consultancy Secuoyas. These are different tools based on virtual reality that improve basic learning training, a better knowledge of the environment and communication skills. It is implemented with a PC and Kinect technology and can be downloaded freely on the Savia Accessible Technologies website of INDRA.
- Mayer-Johnson's Boardmaker is one of the classic communicators among the classics. With multiple options to program different environments within our reach. In the Windows environment, it is a commercial program, mainly focused on people with autism spectrum disorder.
In the iOS environment, Text to Speech (TTS) technology is also available, which is included by default in Apple products and that allows you to hear out loud the texts written on your computer.
Support for mobility
- In cases where mobility and postural control are affected, consult the previous mobility difficulties section .
Access to reading
From AssistiveWare for students with dyslexia , the Wrise program has been launched in Apple's Mac environment with the goal of improving reading and writing.
- Balabolka is a text-to-speech program that allows you to synthesize the contents of the clipboard and many different documents, as well as to save speeches in mp3 format for playback on audio devices. It is free and highly recommended for people with dyslexia.
- ClaroRead by Claro Software is similar to Balabolka , it helps students with reading and writing problems. It is simple and very adaptable. It allows the change of fonts to facilitate reading. In the reading, it allows highlighting the text as it is read through colors. It facilitates the acquisition of texts of documents in pdf. Another strong point is the help to write with spelling correction and text prediction. It allows creating audio and video files to improve comprehension from Word documents or Web pages. Available in Windows and iOS. Commercial.
- Special mention for Pirtuletras , available in Dyseggxia, Luz Rello and Clara Bayarri , because it is a game program for mobile phones that helps children with dyslexia to overcome their problems of reading and writing in Spanish through fun games. They have been scientifically designed to deal with the reading and writing mistakes of children with dyslexia.
- Kurzweil presents Kurzweil 3000 Firefly , a software to support students with dyslexia, with reading, writing and study difficulties, from a multisensory approach.
- Apple, for its part, has the Oxford Dictionary and Thesaurus integrated in Mac applications, to facilitate spelling, grammar and word completion. The Summarize tool allows condensing long texts in simplified texts to facilitate reading for people with attentional problems. Voice notes can be used to evaluate progress in vocalization, pronunciation, etc. iLife as a tool to communicate ideas combining multiple text fonts, multimedia and websites. iTunes to access multimedia contents perfectly organised on multiple devices. iCal as an agenda for personal organization. And Spotlight to search for any material from a single site.
A good number of students with this type of difficulties will benefit from the introduction of products that allow the monitoring of the classes from recording the classes, helping in the taking of notes, simplifying texts and supporting the study through planning and organization software, of creation of outlines, diagrams, concept maps. In cases of people with ASD, they will benefit to the extent that they facilitate visual structuring, visual clarity, staggered learning or pictograms.
- In the market there are numerous digital audio recorders that allow you to export mp3 files directly to your PC and audio players to listen to them anywhere.
- The Skills Projec t is an application that supports the promotion of executive function in children with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) , through several games, which recreate activities within the home and school. It seeks to reinforce organizational and planning skills in children. It is designed by the University of Valparaiso of Chile.
- Mindomo is an app to create mental maps . Useful tool to review concepts, create outlines and reinforce the knowledge learned during the year. It provides a collaborative environment for the real-time development of mental maps. Available for iOS and Android.
Many other applications aimed at the general public that present complex processes in a graphic manner, are good supports to reinforce contents in a wide variety of functional limitations discussed in this section.
Access to Virtual Learning Platforms
Accessible environment design:
- With clear and concrete descriptions.
- With predictable and standardized environment provisions, or easily customizable.
- The European project Literacy (on LI ne por T al for E -learning and suppo R ting soci A l in C lusion of people with d Y slexia), for its part, has created an advanced web portal to support the inclusion of young people and adults with dyslexia in society. Its aim is to facilitate personalized virtual learning programs, with tools for organizing and planning tasks at home, at work and in education.
- In those cases where health circumstances imply limitations in mobility, see the previous mobility difficulties section .
- Special communicators for autistic spectrum disorder, see the section on communicators with mobility difficulties.
- Apple, for its part, has user interfaces adapted for people with cognitive disorders and learning difficulties, included by default in their products, without additional costs. ( https://www.apple.com/education/docs/L417450B_US_Uniquely_Equipped.pdf ).