Faculties and centres
November 28-29, 2019, University of Alicante (Spain)
The Department of Translation and Interpretation at the University of Alicante (Spain) is pleased to announce the 7th International Lucentino Conference to be held in Alicante November 28-29, 2019.
This edition of the Lucentino Conference, which has always highlighted the wide variety of approaches to translation and interpreting, will focus on institutional translation and interpreting, generally defined as that which is carried out in ministries, governmental and non-governmental agencies, international organizations, financial institutions and some types of business enterprises.
The decision to dedicate the 7th edition of the Conference specifically to this field of translation and interpreting was made in recognition of the Master’s Degree in Institutional Translation that has been offered by the Department of Translation and Interpreting at the University of Alicante since 2010.
This Conference, entitled “Institutional Translation and Interpretation from an interdisciplinary perspective: new professional and academic challenges” hopes to provide a meeting place and a space for intense and rigorous reflection among professionals, researchers and trainees, with special focus on the challenges specific to a branch of translation and interpreting that is highly regulated and subject to a series of restrictions and social, political, economic, cultural and ideological factors, in predominantly multilingual environments. This type of translation and interpretation is often essential to the exercise of the regulatory functions of these institutions and plays a pivotal role in their interaction with other institutions and organizations.
Suggested topics for the Conference include, but are not limited to:
- Translation/interpretation in/for national and international bodies
- Translation/interpretation of institutional texts and discourse
- Comparative jurilinguistics
- New technologies in institutional translation/interpretation
- Terminology and institutional translation/interpretation
- Gender rhetoric in institutional translation/interpretation
- Teaching institutional translation/interpretation
- Translation/interpretation in conflict situations, activism and social engagement
- The institutional translator/interpreter as a social and cultural agent
- Accreditation and selection of translators/interpreters
- The quality of linguistic processes and products in institutional environments
The call is open to researchers, students and active professionals, and the proposals presented may concern research, teaching-learning or professional aspects related to any of the topics mentioned above.
Proposals may be written in Spanish, Catalan, French or English, and should be submitted through the corresponding application provided. Proposals shall include: an abstract (title, name, and a summary of approximately 400 words), as well as a preliminary bibliography and a brief biographical note of the author(s).
Deadline for abstract submission: 20 Juny 2019
Date of communication of acceptance or rejection of abstracts: 1 July 2019
Deadline for payment of colloquium fees: 28 October 2019
CALL FOR ABSTRACTS: EXTENDED DEADLINE